In general the bunkhouse is unlikely to be suited to groups which may include someone who is a full time wheelchair user, as the building is set over three floors with internal steps and staircase. The bunkhouse may be suited to a person with limited mobility or other impairment who is able to stand and negotiate a minimum of three internal stairs. The location in the beautiful Batch Valley with immediate opportunities for hill-walking, will prove equally exciting to people with and without disabilities, who feel confident and capable in this type of environment.
Location and Approach
The bunkhouse is situated on the edge of the village of All Stretton on the track leading up to the Long Mynd. Church Stretton railway station is approximately 1.2 miles from the Bunkhouse. The Church Stretton shuttle bus (April-October) operates to the Long Mynd from surrounding areas.
1. For further information visit http://www.churchstretton.co.uk
2. The access to the bunkhouse is up a 200m steep track which eventually leads into the hills. It is possible to drive up to the gateway providing agreement has been reached with the hostel owners, but due to manoeuvrability restrictions near the gateway, it is advisable to reverse up.
Entrance and Kitchen Area
3. There is a single 15cm step leading into the Bunkhouse and the doorway is 82cm wide. The Bunkhouse is located on three bedrooms.
4. The light and airy kitchen area is well equipped with modern appliances including refrigerator, washing machine, tumble dryer, cooker and microwave, sink and kitchen units. The top of the kitchen table is 78cm and the height from the floor to the underneath of the table is 61cm. The kitchen unit working surfaces are at a height of 91cm.
5. The power points and sockets have been clearly marked with colour contrasting strips* to make them more visible
6. There is a payphone in the kitchen which is positioned near to the doorway at a height of 108cm.
7. Large print information, a colour map* of the area are provided
Bedrooms and Facilities
8. There are three bedrooms at the Bunkhouse all of which are accessed by internal steps, These are:-
a. Novers – situated down three steps and which has a door width of 59cm.There is an adjacent room with toilet and washbasin which is set at a height of 79cm
b. Synalds is located up five steps each with treads of 16cm. The stair width is 79cm. There are two sets of bunk beds, the lower bunk is 50cm and the upper one 106cm from the floor. There is also a child’s cot available.
c. There is a shower room adjacent to Synalds with standard facilities and a step in shower.
d. Caradoc is situated up nine steps on a dog leg staircase. The width of the stairs is 74cm. The bedroom door opens directly onto stairs with no landing.
NB The items marked with an asterisk are recommended, although they may not yet be in place.
Assistance dogs are welcomed at the bunkhouse.
The local pub is situated at the bottom of the track ten minutes walk from the bunkhouse.
The above information is designed to enable prospective visitors to make an informed choice as to whether the All Stretton Bunkhouse may meet their access needs. However, if you need any additional information please visit our website and contact us at email@example.com and we will respond as soon as possible, but please bear in mind that the Bunkhouse is not permanently staffed.